Wednesday, February 9, 2011

No, Go grab a blanket!

I LOVE my space here in Arizona! Its like I'm living in a fairy fort. I am staying is a small apartment above a costume shop in a festival. It has a balcony on which I can watch the sunsets behind the red craggy desert mountains. It has a bed, with curtains, and windows all around, and a desk and coffee table. My wings hang on the wall in decoration when not in use.

I love that I have wings that see routine usage.

At the store today I bought healthy simple foods. I am blessed with a refrigerator, though no heating capabilities. This evening, I sat on my yoga mat, cross legged in front of my coffee table with my computer on the left (streaming a popular TV show from Netflix... proof that technology has moved beyond any conventional boundaries and the concept of "home office" was just blown wide open) and my dinner at my right.

As per desert standards as soon as the sun went down (a stunning spectacle I watched from my balcony)the air lost all its warmth and it was quickly very chilly both outside and within my fort. It was at this moment that I realized the problem with western society.

Yup, didn't see that coming did you.

This is the thing I hate most about modern societies, its thick in American culture. Ready?

In my beautiful fairy fort- which I am very blessed to have, because otherwise I would be sleeping amid the scruffy bushes in the desert behind the festival- I got cold. And then I reached for the small electric space heater.

Now class, what is the problem?

There was a bed full of blankets behind me, any one of which would have been enough to keep me warm. But instead I reached for the solution that involved the most consumption. The solution which would have cost me money, and the planet resources. This is the major problem as I see it. We are constantly faced with choices and because of our inability to think before we act we constantly pick the choice which allows us to consume most. No one is standing there with us forcing us to make that choice, and yet we still do so.

We need to stop doing this! This is exactly the blind reactions I want to get out from under. One of the biggest lessons I can learn from this rennie experience is how to exist with balance.


Tonight, lets cheers to blankets.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment